Monday, October 13, 2008

Well, shit on a shingle!

I'm going to get that into circulation as a new exclamation.

In other words, I had creamed chipped beef for the first time this weekend. Shit on a shingle is the name for the dish that originated in the army when it was served in mess halls (so Wikipedia informed me), but as an actual southern comfort food people apparently are in love with it. I'd never even heard of it until a few months ago when Wendy told me it was a staple at the breakfast table growing up and she couldn't believe I'd never had it. Her description was...almost enticing: small pieces of salty, cured beef cooked into a rue-type sauce/gravy and then served up atop a couple pieces of white toast. Determined to uncover the mystery of this fabled breakfast I did some internet research and came up empty. Not one restaurant in the whole of New York City appeared to offer Wendy's delicacy! I was in disbelief and figured I was just doing a poor research job until finally I stumbled upon a New York Times blurb written by the food editor answering a request from a reader for the very same thing. He said, in almost as many words, "You can't find it in NYC, no way no how." Once the Times said the nay-no I gave up.

Pictures to come in a couple days hopefully - I was down there for the weekend meeting some of Wendy's fam and snapped several other fun shots. I climbed a tree for the first time in my life, people.

Love, Carotime

No comments: