Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Olden Timey Days

I took a nap the other day, during which I dreamt that I was hanging out with Dee Snider at his house. Like we were buddies and I was bummed about something and he made me feel better about it. What does that mean?

Tomorrow's a new day with no mistakes in it! That's what my mom always used to say. I really like that saying. It's from the beloved olde timey book series, Ann of Green Gables. Anyhoo, I'm turning over a new leaf starting tomorrow and on that leaf I'm a person who doesn't care about anyone else in my class. New Leaf Caroline does not care if her classmates can't pronounce sodium hydrochloride, or if they don't know that the color wheel ain't just a river in Egypt. New Leaf Caroline is just the quietly, unassumingly perfect class president star beauty school pupil. Eh? Eh? We'll see if I hold out, considering every day last week on my walk to school I already told myself that that would be the day I was finally going to keep my big fat mouth shut.

I really am the class president. Heyooooooo!

P.S. - Flashback, just for good measure, to this April:

Q: "What about grants for sex education in the United States? Should they include instructions about using contraceptives? Or should it be Bush’s policy, which is just abstinence?"

Mr. McCain: (Long pause) "Ahhh. I think I support the president’s policy."

Q: "So no contraception, no counseling on contraception. Just abstinence. Do you think contraceptives help stop the spread of HIV?"

Mr. McCain: (Long pause) "You’ve stumped me."

Q: "I mean, I think you’d probably agree it probably does help stop it?"

Mr. McCain: (Laughs) "Are we on the Straight Talk express? I’m not informed enough on it. Let me find out. You know, I’m sure I’ve taken a position on it on the past. I have to find out what my position was. Brian, would you find out what my position is on contraception – I’m sure I’m opposed to government spending on it, I’m sure I support the president’s policies on it."

I'd like to note that I attended school in New Jersey, which provides spectacularly comprehensive sex ed beginning in 5th grade and continuing every single year til high school graduation. ALWAYS included on the list of disease- and pregnancy-prevention options was abstinence. It was distinctly described as the only 100% reliable option. Each one was laid out with a thorough definition, success rate, and list of potential problems. Every single one, pros and cons, stats and facts. At no point did comprehensive sex ed translate into encouragement to fuck around, as conservatives assert. McCain and Palin propose that Creationism be taught alongside evolution in an effort to expose kids to every "school of thought" (sic) that's out there, yet with regard to sex they prefer the Vast Ignorance Education method. Praying for kids' abstinence isn't my idea of a reliable method. Wonder what little Bristol thinks?

No comments: